Hello Linux users! I have really great news for all Amazon Prime Video (and maybe Netflix too) that you can stop using Windows (or TV) to watch DRM protected content on your Linux machines. I was determinated to watch my favorite TV series that I searched whole Reddit and Google and only what I found was post from 6 years ago. This is my guide for you all:
- Download Chromium-based browser e.g. Brave, Chrome, Chromium (Firefox just crashes) but version for Windows. You can use user agent switcher to download this without problems.
- Install Lutris from your distribution repository and ProtonUp-Qt (on Arch it's in AUR).
- In ProtonUp-Qt select Lutris and Add Version then Wine-GE and select NEWEST version of Proton as seen there https://imgur.com/a/HUiO36O.
- Close ProtonUp and start Lutris, there click plus button on top left corner and click Install a Windows game from media. https://imgur.com/a/2Pywe6k
- Then name it and you want and click Continue, then click Install and Install (don't change anything). https://imgur.com/a/ekBy20G and https://imgur.com/a/fcA7cfm
- At next screen select your downloaded EXE for browser (of choice).
- Wait for installation to complete (it can stuck at end but it is probably a bug), click Cancel and uncheck remove game files and click Yes. https://imgur.com/a/fP84KeX
- Then you click plus again in top left corner and this time click Add locally installed game, name it as you wish and select at Runer: Wine. https://imgur.com/a/4TRoOZA
- At game options tab navigate to executable of your browser (for Brave it probably is /home/YOUR USER/Games/Lutris/NAME YOU GIVEN/drive_c/Program Files/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Application/brave.exe). Change wine prefix too (for me it is /home/YOUR USER/Games/Lutris/brave-browser). https://imgur.com/a/ilwOzCc
- At runner options make sure that you selected downloaded earlier Proton version and uncheck E-Sync and F-Sync because this makes browsers unstable and makes it even not work at all. https://imgur.com/a/OJO7iNY and https://imgur.com/a/UuSXPVn
- Click Save and launch your browser in Lutris (double click on square with name you chosen).
- With Brave you have to go to Settings -> Extentions -> Winedevine and restart browser.
- Then you can login to your streaming service and enjoy FHD and maybe 4K playback on Linux! That is confirmation: https://imgur.com/a/Y2uL9e3 video after few seconds of watching changed to HD 1080p
Let me know is that working for you guys and is it working on Netflix at all. This solution is crashy but it is worth it! Have a great day!