Some days ago I bought the Asus Rog Zephyrus 2022 with alder lake and RTX 3050.
All this I tested in Arch Linux, I do not know the rest of distros. Also the tools to control the dGPU and others only works with systemd (I'm a OpenRC user but OpenRC do not support sockets and because of that SystemD is a requeriment).
First, known issues that for now I do not know how to fix:
- The notebook have 4 speakers: two for basses and two treble. I use pipewire but when use the keyboard to reduce the volume, only works with treble, if I want reduce the volume properly I must do trough pavucontrol.
I think this issue is because the Realtek Audio Driver (if you are a Linux user, maybe you know this).
As I'm a pure Linux user I tested everything and here the steps:
- As Asus made everthing for Windows, do not uninstall it, because Aura for now only is configurable in it.
- If you want still use Windows, do not resize the partition trough linux, use Windows Disk Manager to reduce the partition size.
- To install and use Linux, disable "Fast Boot" and "Secure Boot" in UEFI (when you poweron the notebook press ESC many times and in the boot menu select "Setup").
- When you are installing Linux use cgdisk, not fdisk. Cgdisk is for GPT and fdisk is for MBR.
Your installation must have this configurations;
- GRUB (/etc/default/grub).
Add in CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT:
nvidia-drm.modeset=0 usbhid.mousepoll=1 i915.enable_psr=0 ibt=off .....
- Add the asus-linux repo (/etc/pacman.conf);
[g14] SigLevel = DatabaseNever Optional TrustAll Server = https://arch.asus-linux.org
- Install and enable tools;
pacman -Syuq asusctl && systemctl enable --now power-profiles-daemon.service && pacman -S supergfxctl && systemctl enable --now supergfxd
- Nvidia drivers and Asus ROG Linux kernel
pacman -Sy linux-g14 linux-g14-headers nvidi-dkms && grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
- Tool to send a program to use the Nvidia GPU
pacman -Sy nvidia-prime
If you want execute Steam (for example) into Nvidia do;
- If you want install Steam and use in Nvidia dGPU do (also uninstall lib32-amdvlk because will crash with nvidia drivers);
pacman -S ulkan-intel vulkan-mesa-layers lib32-nvidia-utils lib32-vk3d lib32-vulkan-intel lib32-vulkan-mesa-layers steam && pacman -R lib32-amdvlk
Then reboot your system and just after this install your desktop environment.